Saturday 29 December 2012

Reaper Bones Minotaur


I came clean some time ago about my terrible addiction to the Reaper Bones range.  They are incredible value, great quality and don't need to be primed they are fantastic to paint and easy to convert, i'm a huge fan as you can no doubt tell.

Which is lucky when you consider i'll be getting around 250 new ones in March thanks to Reaper's Kickstarter offer!  I think i'm going to need a bigger brush.
I've had this particular model for a couple of months and its the last Bones miniature I've currently got left to paint.  With that in mind I thought i'd do a more in depth work in progress post with lots of photos. 

The first step was to base the model and I used a 40mm lipped base, I really like these lipped bases and tend to use them all the time now.  The model was super glued to the base and some fine grit was glued on, its important to make sure some of the grit covers the built in base or it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

I used Games Workshop's Kislev Flesh (slightly watered down) for the skin with Bestial Brown for the fur.  I decided quite early on that I was going to use this model to try out Non Metallic Metal (NMM) gold so thought it would make sense to paint the weapons in NMM Steel too.  

I wanted the fur to look like the coats of Scottish Highland Cattle so washed the brown with Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade and dry brushed snakebite leather for the highlight.   

The NMM Gold ranged from Ushabti Bone with a Yello ink wash to Skull White with lots of brown washes and pale yellow.  It was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be and i'm satisfied but not thrilled with the results.  As only my second attempt at NMM i'm happy and will continue to practice the technique.





2 comments:

  1. No question but he's a terrifying chap. As always I am impressed by your brushwork, you are definitely in the top percentile a of the hobby. Really like what you did with the flesh tones.
    Looking forward to seeing all those Reaper Bones figures coming to you!
    All the best for the new year,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete