Wednesday 4 September 2013

Reaper Bones Kagunk Ogre Cheiftan





This is the first Bones miniature i've painted from the recent Reaper Kickstarter reward (in fact the first in several months).  It was sculpted by Tre Manor and the level of detail was, as usual, really good.


I wanted to step away from the usual flesh tones I use for Ogres and I've been toying with the idea of a game in an Icewind Dale setting so settled on my version of a Frost Ogre.  He should fit in well with the Storm Giants I have and the other Tre Manor Black Orcs.


I also approached the skin in a different way to usual so didn't use any washes and built up with heavily thinned paint from Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform Navy into Vallejo Grey Blue with a final highlight of 50/50 Grey blue and White.  It takes longer but seems to have worked pretty well and on larger models the effort is certainly rewarded.

Another thing I did differently this time was to work on one area (like the skin) all the way up to practically finished before even starting the other areas.  I normally try and get some colour on all the parts of a model but this does mean I sometimes don't give each area the kind of attention to detail that I do when i'm concentrating on say the shield until its finished.

Finally I based him on a Tiny Worlds resin base and added some Army Painter snow to help him look frosty.  

I'm particularly pleased with the skin, Hunting horn and the shield on this one although the eyes didn't turn out as well as I wanted.

If you want to know more about how I painted him, which paints I used and why I chose the colours I did just leave a comment below and I'll do my best to explain.

5 comments:

  1. Sweet! I'm gonna paint mine fleshtone though, but this one looks amazing! Especially the shield, wow! I hadn't even noticed the skull :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted my other Bones Ogre with flesh tones, they do look good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat shield is fantastic, and I really like the blue-grey skin, and I'd really like to know how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks David. I built it up with very thin washes. I started with the darkest Blue/Grey I had and used that as the base coat, after that additional washes of lighter and lighter blue/greys until I was using almost pure white. The trick is as you move up through the colours to cover less and less area with each wash so you get a consistent blend from light to dark.

    I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete